.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My DIY Linux PVR
Monday, November 21, 2005
  Booting Gentoo 2005.1 (2.6.12)
For some odd reason, my SATA DVD Burner does not like to mount as a boot device. doscsi and noatpi options didn't help at all. Luckily I had an old IDE DVD reader lying around. Hopefully support for this device can configured, though I've read that the Plextor 712SA can be problematic.

First I tried rollling my own kernel without the help of genkernel. That may have worked well, I was pretty carefull to add support for all the new hardware I have, but initially formatting the root and boot partitions as JFS was a big mistake. I hear a lot of people using JFS for thier media partitions, so I figured I would just go JFS all the way. Grub really did not like that idea. I also had problems with JFS on the root partion. One reformat with ext2 on /boot and ext3 on /, 1 stock humungo genkernel built kernel later and my first successfull boot was made.
 
Comments:
Hey, I was just wondering what problems you faced with jfs being /. I have had Gentoo on my laptop running jfs on all partitions except /boot and am having all sorts of problems with /home getting currupted. Also my desktop had issues with getting Gentoo on it and I'm wondering if it was a jfs related issue. The problem I am having is that it boots to run level 3 and then locks up. A restart won't mount any of the partitions, they are all corrupt and require re formatting.

I'm using my old blogger login but I think all the info there is out of date. You can reach me at seth@sethsblog.com if you decide the reply.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
A project log (Plog) documenting the planning and assembly of a Linux PVR.

HARDWARE
PROJECT LINKS
Gentoo
HTPC News
BYO PVR
O'Reilly's MythTV PVR Project
PVR Hardware Database
PVR Plog Listing
PVR Review Listing
Linux Hardware Compatibility List

RECENT
Real OS Installation Begins
Fame
Test OS Installation Complete
Assembly Complete
Christmas in August
The Keyboard
The Tuner Card
The DVD Drive
The Hard Disk(s)
The Graphics Card

ARCHIVES
August 2005 / September 2005 / November 2005 /


Powered by Blogger