.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My DIY Linux PVR
Tuesday, November 29, 2005
  Simple Solutions
I found two very simple solutions to separate items on my TODO list.

The wireless connection is a little sporadic and sometimes reports a bit rate of 1Mb/s. Before tearing out the generic Broadcom drivers I downloaded, I cleared out some of the cable cruft near the antenna at the back of my ATI case. This alone bosted the bitrate up to 48Mb/s and it occasionally goes to the full 54Mb/s. No software configuration necessary.

SPDIF output on the built-in sound card was easy once I figured out that my NVidia nFORCE4 Motherboard comes with a Realtek chip'd soundcard which is based on the Intel i8X0 chipset. Confused? So was I. Contributing to this is ALSA's silently finicky .asoundrc file that requires the right chipset code after it's pcm and ctl config sections. My final .asoundrc file with PCM output going to the SPDIF device (2) looks like:


pcm.intel8x0 {
type hw
card 0
device 2
}

ctl.intel8x0 {
type hw
card 0
}
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
A project log (Plog) documenting the planning and assembly of a Linux PVR.

HARDWARE
PROJECT LINKS
Gentoo
HTPC News
BYO PVR
O'Reilly's MythTV PVR Project
PVR Hardware Database
PVR Plog Listing
PVR Review Listing
Linux Hardware Compatibility List

RECENT
TODO
MythTV on my TV
wlan0 Success with Broadcom
Linksys Bait and Switch
Xorg and the nVidia Driver
LVM2
Booting Gentoo 2005.1 (2.6.12)
Real OS Installation Begins
Fame
Test OS Installation Complete

ARCHIVES
August 2005 / September 2005 / November 2005 /


Powered by Blogger